University SocioCultural Network for Education and Rehabilitation in Prison (RiUscire)
- Principal Investigator(s): Marilisa Birello with Marilisa Birello
- Funding agency: Erasmus+ Key Action 2 – Strategic Partnerships for adult education
- Amount: €27,468.00
- Duration: 2014-2017
- Reference: 2014-1-IT02-KA204-003517
RiUscire intends to exploit the multilingual and intercultural dimension of the prison context in order to transform it into a place of resources and re-education through integrated actions of training courses addressed to foreign prisoners, prison staff and teachers working in the prisons of the countries involved. Starting from the coexistence of languages and cultures in a place of forced stay, it intends to:
- enhance the multilingualism and cultural diversity inherent in a prison context;
- promote adult education in a prison context through intercultural communication;
- develop the inmate's linguistic-cultural competences and linguistic-professional skills for social and work reintegration;
- provide prison staff with tools for a better understanding of communication processes with foreign prisoners and teachers with a teaching methodology aimed at optimising the results of training courses aimed at the 'foreign prisoner' learner.
The project involves five European universities in Italy, Germany, France, Spain and Portugal that are characterised by their commitment to language training and/or training in the prison context, as well as the Italian Higher Institute of Penitentiary Studies.